Saturday, January 15, 2005

Wal-Mart Concept

The CEO of Wal-Mart recently wrote a letter addressing the public's perception of his company's employment practices. That letter then ran in the form of an ad in a number of national publications.

With that in mind, here's a similar slant addressing some writers' misconceptions about POD publishing.

Dear Writer:

Choosing the right words can be difficult. Thank goodness somebody invented the thesaurus. As a writer, I would be lost without it. The thesaurus is an invaluable tool assisting in the success of my craft.

When Peter Mark first published the thesaurus in 1852, die-hard dictionary-purists most likely refused to recognize its value. Now the thesaurus and dictionary coexist in harmony. No one thinks twice about using whichever one is appropriate.

It would be silly to enter into a debate about which one is better – the dictionary or the thesaurus. They serve different functions. If I want several definitions of a word, I’ll turn to a dictionary. If I want a better word, I’ll use a thesaurus.

Think of Outskirts Press as a thesaurus. Those big publishing houses in New York are the dictionaries. One isn’t better than the other – they’re different. But all writers, even dictionary-purists, would do well to consider using both.

Sure, I still reach for the dictionary. I personally submit every book I start to those “real” publishers first. I’ve started many books and received many rejection letters. I keep on trying, though, because I share that elusive dream of fame, fortune, and Oprah!

Guess what? I’ve never been accepted. Not once. I started submitting sample chapters with a synopsis when I was in ninth grade, and nearly twenty years later, I still submit sample chapters with a synopsis.

Picking up that dictionary is becoming increasingly difficult when I know a paper cut awaits me. Might be easier to start mispeling stuff.

I started Outskirts Press because I wanted a “thesaurus” for the publishing world. No, we’re not going to put the dictionaries out of business, as some other thesaurus’ would have you believe.

But we are helping writers get published, and we are helping them make money from their writing.

Most importantly, we are motivating them to continue using that dictionary in spite of the paper cuts.

It’s true that every book I’ve started, I’ve submitted to a publisher. But every book I’ve published, I’ve submitted to Outskirts Press. We will publish your book, too.

Sincerely,

Brent Sampson
CEO/President
Outskirts Press, Inc.
OutskirtsPress.com.