Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A busy week

This update is long overdue. This past week has been pretty hectic and my 6-month old is not sleeping all that well, lately, so lots of sleepless nights and crazy days. The CIPA college is this week so we've been in a rush to get everything done for that, including a display for our best books, a brochure holder, card holders, copious quantities of Publishing Gems and a 6 foot banner. We'll also be submitting Publishing Gems for the EVVY awards, so I need to get that submission form filled out today.

America's Curious Ways is the last EVVY entry we're submitting. All the others were submitted at the last CIPA meeting a month ago. That brings a total of 7 that Outskirts Press is submitting this year.

I'm also busy enhancing my "profile" on Amazon.com to add some articles and listmanias to further promote Publishing Gems and some of our other titles. Yesterday I submitted 11 "So you'd like to..." articles about various self-publishing topics ranging from plotting fiction to choosing a publisher. This feature on Amazon offers another way to promote books on their site and I'm going to give it a thorough test to see if it translates to more sales of Publishing Gems, which is already being sold online on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Although the cover has not been uploaded for either yet. They're resolving that today back at the office so that both online listings are complete, hopefully before the CIPA awards (after all, a complete online listing is one of the elements I stress for important book promotion in my book. Might be a good idea to put my money where my mouth is).

Final edits are ongoing for Adventures in Publishing. I plan on completing them today. Then we just have to do the index and that interior is complete. THe front cover is done. We have to finalize the back and spine and it'll be ready to go to print. We're going to change the file pretty considerably for the e-book version, but hopefully I can pull that off this week and it up and freely available from http://outskirtspress.com/publishing before the college, which begins this Thursday. Jeanine is going to the Thursday afternoon Newbie classes, and then we'll both be there all day Fri and Sat. It's at the Red Lion Inn in Denver, Colorado. Come see us.